Hello, I created a new Blog for the class since the last one wasn't going to work.
As for today,
The "Good" that Aristotle speaks of he relates to "Happiness", as its translated, is spoken of as being self-sustaining. Its also spoken of as being "Complete". When he talks about this I think that he's talking about how it isn't something that a person seeks as a catalyst for another goal, its something that someone seeks just for itself.
While I can understand why he would consider that better I also feeling that the translation needs to be updated so that we can understand what he's talking about from a current perspective.
So here's my attempt to explain in a modern context.
-The Good, is more or less something that represents benefit not only to oneself but to the group of people that you are involved with. It applies to various actions and situations as being something that represents the benefit of actions and intentions towards oneself and others.
-The Happiness that Aristotle speaks of, is not so much Happiness and fulfillment of the mind and body, in so far as a persons actions can bring about fulfillment of the mind and body of the individual. This is a fulfillment that cannot be achieved through any one action but rather derives from the knowledge that you have achieved goals or that you are moving towards such success through your actions.
I hope my definitions come close to the being a more accurate translation. Please comment and inform me if I left anything out.
Robert
I agree with your modern definition of happiness. As Lincoln consistently worked to make a better life for himself and to push his ideas through American government, he was very focused on his end goal. He may have been more "happy" if he had instead taken some time to enjoy the present, and his journey to happiness. I also agree with your modern definition of good, except I believe it could be condensed by simply saying that "good" involves charitable works. Lincoln does this y involving himself in politics, and implementing changes that he believes will improve the lives of those he governs.
ReplyDelete